Friday, March 9, 2007

From an Obscure View

The winds blow outside, almost calling out to the emptiness of the world. A longing to grasp the truth beneath the worlds, and then suddenly it all ceases and night befalls the world - An enveloped darkness in to which we must surrender. Surrender our lives, our souls, our being. The world lies at the brink of War, a war which would maim many a woman and child. It would scar the world with everlasting devastation and would denote the coming of the end.

Having conquered many precincts, I find myself in the midst of an emotional perplexity. My dreams seemingly distorted are now within my grasp. Soon I will complete my degree. That in itself would be a concluding chapter of life. No longer will I be trussed to the routine protected verve of knowingness. I will be impelled into a greater world, a world vast and full of uncertainty, a world of choice.

Many a person has stumbled and has fallen in this great course of life. The young are hopeless and ostensibly lost. People yearn to devour that which is forbidden. This road we travel on is long and hard. We strive to understand the meaning. We long for the truth. And yet, yet we fail to live. To live in the demeanour in which was prescribed for us by the Greater Being. We have fallen prey to this secular life. We fear subjugation and we long for wealth and pre-eminence. We are pride-filled and thus too proud.

The world as it seems is a product of a distorted nation. That in which man finds beauty, if looked at intently has ugliness, to some extent. That in which man finds pleasure in, is wronged. That in which sweetness is found is actually bitter. We gain pleasure from other people’s angst. We indulge in that which is forbidden and omit that which has been made compulsory on us.

We yearn to live a peaceful life, yet we tear down nations violently. We wrong ourselves. We live life criticising others, yet we are hypocrisy filled. We long for worldly wealth, yet deep beneath we know that worldly wealth will not direct our sails to the end. For wealth has no true happiness. The beauty of pure happiness cannot be obtained by synthetic elements of life. Happiness will be experienced only once Prayer and the Greater Being is a part of life. It is to him that we owe our love and trust to, for without him, we would not be. He is the epitome of all life.

Today I feel acerbic towards the world. I cannot comprehend the injustices of the world. I look around me and people are dying. Children younger than me suffer, either from hunger, abuse, disease, famine or HIV Aids. Or they fall victims to war. They are being deprived of life. I mourn the injustices of this place people like to consider a ‘heaven on earth’. Life is a cruel element. The ones we love are stolen from us, those that our futures depend on are being killed, those that we look up to age and those that we long for are but a forgotten memory.

With this passage of time, we have become products of our society. We live inconsiderably; we just move on and forget that which is significant. That which humanity has deemed necessary has become a burden on society. We yearn for interdependence, yet only for that part which will benefit our lives. We have become an uncaring nation. It is said ‘united we stand, divided we fall’ though we continue to neglect the fundamental aspects of life. We leave the hungry and homeless to fend for themselves. Those who are diseased are dying, while an entire nation of diseased people are being born. We shun these beings and deem them outcasts of not just society but life. They have become burdened upon us.

I live in a beautiful country, South Africa, which has overcome many human injustices during the course of and especially during the last decade. In my lifetime, I have learnt to appreciate the situation of my birth land. I have matured in my manner of thinking towards my South Africa during this expedition of realisation. I have learnt that many South African people were oppressed and that they died with dignity as they died for their ideals and beliefs. I have learnt that Apartheid drove many potential South Africans away from our beautiful country. I have learnt that although South Africa currently experiences many problems such as crime, health and Aids, the newer generation have a great deal to appreciate as we are living in a democratic and free South Africa. I have learnt that although I live in a society where racial prejudice has not yet been totally eradicated I must still continue to believe and have faith and hope that someday, people will live together in serenity in this land of ours. I have learnt that South Africa boasts a liberal constitution which perfectly encapsulates everything required for a great nation such as South Africa. Moreover, finally I’ve come to the realisation that we live in a diverse society where opinions differ; we have got to learn to look beyond race and to live side by side in peace. I have learnt that ‘united we stand, divided we fall’.

I want to be a patriot, not to just my country or my religion; I want to be a patriot to life. I seek neither fame nor wealth. I seek peace and prosperity. I yearn to live in a nation where man, flora and fauna live alongside each other; where love conquers all and lives on for eternities. Where rights are respected and injustices cease to exist. I am not afraid of death; I’d choose to die changing the world than die a product of my society. People long for wealth and synthetic prestige and I, I yearn for a home for the homeless, food for the hungry, well-being for the ill and a long life to old and young alike. I yearn for God’s mercy. Beneath the bitterness of the world, dwells peace, love and radiant sun-shines and beautiful smiles to last lifetimes to come. If only we can change society in time, if only…

3 comments:

r said...

Wow.. That was beautiful. Not obscure at all tho, think u hav a pretty clear idea of what should be =)

Shafinaaz Hassim said...

hey slms!

that was an incredible insight into the essence of who you are as a writer and a human being! i am impressed by the divine inspiration that flows through you:)

take care

Shafinaaz Hassim said...

oh and.. from the energy of your writing, i can say with certainty that your ending isnt apt: change the if only because i believe you will be able to make a difference with the way you think as a tool and the way you write as a vehicle.

all the best!

You and I - Lebo Mashile

I've fallen so deeply in love rediscovering my love for poetry and words...This is such a beautiful piece... http://www.youtube.com/w...